Monday, April 23, 2007

One down. One to go.

I finished the first, and I love it.




I'm hunting down yarn to make #2. I used Meilenweit Mega Boot stretch, which I found on a trip to Webs.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have cast on so many extra stitches for my big calves. My calves are at least 2" bigger than the pattern calls for, so I had increased 16 stitches (8 sts/inch). I think I could've easily gotten away with just adding 8 sts.

For decreases (and I'll write all the mods I made up into one post for easy linking ... but it'll have to wait until after finals).
According to the pattern, if you added 8 sts, you would decrease as follows

You would then decrease once in the 24th row, then every 12th row 3 times, then every 6th row 7 times, and then every 3rd row 4 times.

I decreased every 12th row 3 times, then every 6 rows 3 times, then every 3rd row until I was at the right number of decreases. I would suggest trying it on frequently to see if the shaping/decreasing is following the curve of your own calf.

ps. Has anyone tried knitting this sock toe up? I might try that for sock #2.

1 comment:

Glenna C said...

Very nice! The variegation actually works pretty well with the cabling, i was skeptical but I admit that you made it work beautifully :)